Wondering why physical activity is so important?
Regular activity is a key part of managing diabetes along with proper meal planning, taking medications as prescribed, and stress management.When you are active, your cells become more sensitive to insulin so it can work more efficiently. Your cells also remove glucose from the blood using a mechanism totally separate from insulin during exercise.
So, exercising consistently can lower blood glucose and improve your A1C. When you lower your A1C, you may be able to take fewer diabetes pills or less insulin.Physical activity is also important for your overall well being, and can help with many other health conditions.
Regular physical activity:
- Owers blood pressure and cholesterol
- Lowers your risk for heart disease and stroke
- Burns calories to help you lose or maintain weight
- Increases your energy for daily activities
- Helps you sleep better
- Relieves stress
- Strengthens your heart and improves your blood circulation
- Strengthens your muscles and bones
- Keeps your joints flexible
- Improves your balance to prevent falls
- Reduces symptoms of depression and improves quality of life