WHAT IS DIABETES DITE
Diabetic person can eat all the food products which generally a normal person consumes,but it is important that diet should be balanced, should not be more than the required calories and at the same time required diet should be distributed properly in whole day.
Diabetes diet plan in short is a balanced diet plan which helps the diabetic patient to maintain his ideal weight according to his height, age and sex. At the same time helps to maintain sugar levels in blood lick a normal person, so that patient feels completely healthy and satisfied. According to diabetic diet plan diabetic patient can have all the food products of is choice expect which contain, sugar glucose, jaggery or honey. If slight modification is made in his diet he can enjoy these products occasionally. At the same time it is remember that negligency in diet can have adverse effect on health.
|Recommended||Cal/Kg. b unit|
|Simple Work||Medium Work||Heavy Work|
Calculation of Calories
- .3 meals pattern
BF L D 1/5 2/5 2/5
- 6 meals pattern
BF MM L T D Bed 1/7 1/2 2/7 1/7 2/7 1/7
AIM OF DIET IN DIABETES
Aim of diet in diabetes:-
- To maintain nutrients in the body.
- To maintain weight according to height.
- To control glucose and fats level in blood.
- To protect from physical deformities.
- To give feeling of physical and mental well being.
- To give to a body required calories and nutrients from a balanced diet.
REQUIREMENT OF NUTRIENTS IN DIABETES
Before planning a diet plan for a diabetes patient it is important to know how much calories are required by him, calories depend on person’s weight and his working pattern. A person gets these calories mainly from fats, protein an carbohydrates. In people with different age,sex, class the amount of required calories can be obtained by increasing or decreasing these nutrients eg in a abese person amount of fats and oils can be reduced and (milk and cereal) and protein can be increased.
Normally in a diabetic patient amount of carbohydrate is not very much reduced. Those who are not taking insulin the amount of carbohydrate is reduced. In carbohydrate also, sugar,jaggery, honey and other sweets are restricted but complex carbohydrate can be given in prescribed amount.
At the time of diabetes person also requires same mount of protein as given to normal person.
But in some conditions:-
- Those who are under weight.
- Pregnant or lactating women.
- Growing children.
Require more and should take 1-1 ½ gm of protein/kg per body weight.
It is important to reduce intake of fats in diet.Refined oil should be used to maintain cholestrol in blood and control thickening of arteries.Mustard oil is apprecially good in diabetes diet.These can be used in combining width sunflower and soyabeen oils.
- There is no relation between eating sweets and diabetes.If a person maintain his weight,blood pressure and sugar with regular exercise with diet control he can eat some sweets.
- Low salt should also be taken,even with normal blood pressure.
- In this condition it is better to use surson(Mustard) oil.If it is used with equal proportion of soyabeen and sunflower it will be more helpful.
- It is not persumed that all family members may have diabetes,but if one person,then in other members chances are increased.if person goes for diet control and maintains his weight then its chances can be reduced.
- Rice and potatos should be taken in limited amount.
- At times 1 piece of sweet cn be tken in exchange of some other food.If blood glucose is uncontrolled do not consume sweets.
- If meals are delayed,fruit or butter milk can be taken.
- Do not have food while watching T.V. or reading news paper.
- Have food slowly and with peaceful mind,with this,less food will also give satisfaction.
- In 24 Hours take 3 min meals and 2 small meals.
- Use more of leafy vegetables nd other vegetables.
- Consume fruits in prescribed amount.
- Take around 8 glasses of water per day.
- Make use of sprouts in daily diet.
- Do not stay empty stomach for long hours or eat more at one time.
- Portion out food in thali so that there is a note of how much food is consumed.
- Take missi Roti.
- Do not sieve flour.
- Do not stay empty stomach for a very long time between two meals(5-6 hrs.).
- Do not go to sleep immediately fter dinner.Keep interval of atleast 2 hrs. between dinner and bed time.
- First wash and then chopp the vegetable.Do not keep the chopped vegetble for a very long time its nutritional value gets distroyed.
- Do not throw the water of rice and dal while cooking.
- According to age,increase exercise and reduce diet.
- Stay happy because stress increases sugar.
- Fasting should only be done if very necessary and with proper diet planning.
- Try to maintain ideal weight according to height.
- Instead of sugars honey,sugarfree tablets can be in tea,milk,coffee and also for preparing sweets.
- Diet planning is done according to person’s working pattern,job and life style.
- With this type of diet planning one can consume the same food as other family members, with slight medicine.
- with proper diet plnning efficiency of tablet and insulin can be increased and at times does can be also reduced.
FOODS TO AVOID
Sweets,jaggery,honey,sugar,sago,fruit juices,soft drinks,pastry,chocolate,banana,chipps,dry fruits,and root vegetbles.
Bread,potato,poha,besn,mida,grapes(4-6 small) mango (1/4 slice) etc.
FOODS TO BE TAKEN FREELY
Green leafy vegetables,raw salad,whole dals,bittergourd,cucumber,tomato,onion,raddish,papaya,apple,orange,butter milk,lemon water,soups etc.
SOURCES OF FIBRE
Cereals,pulses(with husk and whole dals) leafy vegetables,whole flour,Rajmh,dry peas etc.
In the end we cn say that food which is taken during dibetes not only maintains sugar,but is also responsible for good health.For this,Meal planning,Patience and Routine are required.